This is Hussena here from Quill and Punch Works with a brand new photo tutorial for you today. Today also happens to be Pretty Paper Studio’s 5th Birthday. We will be having lots of activities all round the month so do follow the blog and our social media channels for the updates.
I have made an Altered Hoop for today’s post which would be perfect as a Home Decor piece. I hope you will like it. Here’s the step by step tutorial on how I created it :-
Step 1 – I took a medium sized embroidery hoop to alter. To begin with, gather your supplies. You will need a bottle of gesso, any colour paint of your choice and a broad, flat brush. I have used the Prima Marketing Egg Blue Chalkboard paint.
Step 2 – I covered the entire hoop by painting it with White Gesso. As you know Gesso is a primer and is an absolute must if you want to paint or add any other mediums over it. It will help take the colours well too.
Step 3 – I then painted the hoops using the Prima Chalkboard paint. The paint dries pretty quickly and you can start working on the main frame and the embellishments.
Step 4 – I added some White Jute behind the hoops to cover it. Jute is available in the PPS store. Do check the product list below for the direct link to buy.
Step 5 – I then took a sheet of patterned paper from the Amy Tangerine Oh Happy life 6 X 6″ paper pad and used my compass to draw a circle on it roughly measuring about 3.25′ in diameter. I then took a pair of scissors to cut out my circle. I distressed the edges of this circle with Distress Ink – Vintage Photo using the Ranger Circle Ink Blending tool.
Step 6 – I decided to adhere one more patterned paper from the same pack below my yellow circle. Then I glued pearl strings all round my hoop using my Glue Gun. This was just to enhance the look of my project.
Step 7 – I die-cut the word ‘Be’ four to five times to give it that raised look using a die from Simon Says Stamp and the thankful word is a chipboard cut-out which I colored using black acrylic paint.
Step 8 – I used the Sizzix Mini Daisy dies to die-cut the flowers and leaves to create the mini filler flowers for my project.
Step 9 – These are how the flowers look after gluing each petal. Really cute, right?
Step 10 – I colored a chipboard piece from Blue Fern Studios using the Heidi Swapp Color Shine sprays in Green. I had already gessoed this piece earlier and kept it ready to use for my project.
Step 11 – I picked up some leaves from Petaloo to use on my project as well as some natural hay.
Step 12 – I embellished my hoop using flowers from Prima Marketing and my handmade filler flowers.
Step 13 – And here’s how it looks finally after adding more embellishments. This was really a very fun project to work on and makes such a fantastic Home Decor piece.
That’s it from my side today. Let me know if you have any queries regarding my project. I would love to hear what you think about my Altered hoop! Do leave me your comments/suggestions below 🙂
– – – –
We are bringing back our “Show Us What You Made” contest. Pretty Paper Studio is turning 5 years old in April and this contest will run from February until the end of April.
See terms and conditions below:
1. Make a project using supplies you have purchased from our store – www.ppsuae.com.
2. Your purchases can be old or new but your project HAS to be new – made after this contest was announced (February 5, 2017). Please don’t pull out old photos from your archives.
3. Upload them to the Member Gallery on our website. Please list the name of items you have used in your projects in the description. Our tutorial here will guide you on uploading projects to our Gallery.
4. This step is optional – if you share your project on social media, please tag us @ppsuae or use the hashtag #madewithppsuae. Kindly note that your profile has to be public for us to see your projects.
5. We will pick one winner at the end of every month – February, March, and April – and the winner will receive an AED 100 prize pack. Three winners in total.
6. Start crafting!!